Author

Chris Enloe

Browsing

‘Punishment must be swift and certain’

Attorney General William Barr vowed on Monday new legislation that would fast-track the death penalty for death-row inmates convicted of killing a police officer or committing mass murder.

Speaking at the Fraternal Order of Police conference in New Orleans, Barr announced that legislation that permits the “imposition of any death sentence without undue delay” for convicted mass murderers and cop killers will make its way to Capitol Hill after Labor Day, CNN reported.

“This administration will not tolerate violence against police, and we will do all we can to protect the safety of law enforcement officers,” Barr said. “Punishment must be swift and certain.”

The effort is being spearheaded by the Justice Department after President Donald Trump lauded such a bill last week.

However, as ABC News noted, opponents of the death penalty argue that swift executions would likely not deter those intent on committing mass murder because of the amount of planning involved, which usually includes the killer taking his own life or dying by suicide-by-cop.

Barr’s announcement came just weeks after his agency announced it would resume carrying out executions of federal death-row prisoners later this year after a nearly two-decade hiatus.

Author: Chris Enloe

Source: The Blaze: AG Barr announces plan to more swiftly execute convicted cop killers, mass murderers

‘If the guards see that the guy is breaking, they’re going to help you break’

A former inmate at the Metropolitan Correction Center, a federal penitentiary in lower Manhattan, told the New York Post on Saturday there is “no way” that Jeffrey Epstein killed himself.

The comments, which were made on the condition of anonymity, will undoubtably add fuel to conspiracy suspicions that surround Epstein’s death

“I’ve done too much time in those units. It’s an impossibility,” the former inmate, who spent time in MCC’s special housing unit, where Epstein was held, told the Post.

The former inmate explained the physical dimensions of the special housing unit cells, in addition to secluded inmates not possessing any items transformable into an “instrument of death,” prevented Epstein from harming himself.

“They don’t give you enough in there that could successfully create an instrument of death. You want to write a letter, they give you rubber pens and maybe once a week a piece of paper,” the former inmate said.

“Could he have done it from the bed? No sir. There’s a steel frame, but you can’t move it. There’s no light fixture. There’s no bars,” he explained. “You have sheets, but they’re paper level, not strong enough. He was 200 pounds — it would never happen.”

The former inmate went on to explain that jail guards are on a “major power trip” and push some inmates passed their emotional tipping point.

“Some of the guards are on a major power trip. They know guys there are suffering. They know something the rest of the world hasn’t seen, that a place like this exists in this country, and they get off on it,” he said. “If the guards see that the guy is breaking, they’re going to help you break.”

It was revealed Saturday that Epstein, despite an apparent suicide attempt just weeks prior, was not on continuous suicide watch at the time of his death. Additionally, jail officials reportedly did not follow standard operating procedures in the hours preceding Epstein’s death, which included routine checks on every inmate.

Attorney General William Barr has initiated a Justice Department investigation into the matter.

Author: Chris Enloe

Source: The Blaze: Former inmate at jail where Jeffrey Epstein was held explains why there is ‘no way’ Epstein killed himself

He suddenly resigned Friday

The controversial chief of staff for Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.), who suddenly resigned Friday, is under federal investigation, a new report reveals.

According to the New York Post, the Federal Election Commission is investigating Saikat Chakrabarti for possible campaign finance violations, potentially shedding new light on his sudden departure from Ocasio-Cortez’s office.

The investigation comes after government watchdog group National Legal and Policy Center filed complaints with the FEC in March, alleging Chakrabarti created shell companies to circumvent strict federal guidelines governing PAC finances and disclosure requirements.

More from the Post:

The two PACs being probed, Brand New Congress and Justice Democrats, were both set up by Chakrabarti to support progressive candidates across the country.

But they funneled more than $1 million in political donations into two private companies that Chakrabarti also incorporated and controlled, according to Federal Election Commission filings and a complaint filed in March with the regulatory agency.

In 2016 and 2017, the PACs raised about $3.3 million, mostly from small donors. A third of the cash was transferred to two private companies whose names are similar to one of the PACs — Brand New Congress LLC and Brand New Campaign LLC — federal campaign filings show.

As Fox News noted, the FEC only initiates investigations stemming from complaints filed by outside organizations if there is sufficient evidence to believe a violation occurred.

According to the Post, the investigation includes probing the motive behind salary rules implemented by Ocasio-Cortez’s office. In March, she announced no staff member working in her office would make less than $52,000 or more than $80,000.

By capping Chakrabarti’s salary at $80,000 — despite most congressional chiefs of staff earning more than $140,000 per year — it would have allowed Chakrabarti to avoid requirements mandating he reveal outside income, which are triggered for staff members earning more than $126,000.

Ocasio-Cortez and Chakrabarti were quietly removed from the board of Justice Democrats in March after National Legal and Policy Center filed its complaint.

Author: Chris Enloe

Source: The Blaze: Feds investigating AOC’s chief of staff who suddenly resigned, report says. Here’s why.

‘We are the ONLY nation in the world w/ more guns than people. And this is the result’

Liberals, gun control advocates, and 2020 Democratic presidential candidates wasted no time politicizing the mass murder tragedy in El Paso Saturday.

Before law enforcement confirmed the number of casualties, before families were reunited, before all of the injured were transported to hospitals, before the scene was declared safe, liberals rushed to call for new gun control measures.

Democratic presidential candidates:

Activists:

Author: Chris Enloe

Source: The Blaze: Liberals, 2020 Democrats waste no time politicizing El Paso mass tragedy to push gun control

‘I find that hard to believe’

Amid renewed accusations that President Donald Trump is racist, a black pastor is speaking out against the media narrative.

The Rev. Bill Owens, who met with Trump alongside 19 other inner-city ministry leaders on Monday, told reporters after the meeting what he thought about the president.

“I find that hard to believe,” the 80-year-old Owens said of accusations that Trump is racist. He added that he has personally experienced racism, “so I know it when I see it.”

Owens, who is president of the coalition of African-American pastors, said the discussion centered on “the issues facing the black community.” He pushed back against claims the meeting was “damage control” for controversy sparked over the weekend.

“I have been here five different times in four or five months, so it was not damage control,” Owens said, according to CNN.

“When you look at the opportunity zones, when you look at what he’s doing for our prisoners, which is a main factor,” he explained. “The fact that he met with us today is a factor. He wanted to know from us what should he do in America.”

Later, while speaking with CNN host Don Lemon, Owens continued to defend Trump from charges of racism.

When Lemon asked how Trump’s attacks are not racist, Owens contended Trump cannot be racist because he attacks people of all colors.

“I find President Trump leader of all colors. He attacks who he will. He’s his own man,” Owens said. “I can’t dictate what he should or should not do. But he does not just attack black people. He attacks anybody. And you know it.”

Then Lemon invoked Christianity.

“So as a man of faith, as a Christian, you’re saying he attacks anyone. It sounds like you’re condoning attacks?” he asked. “Is that christianly or godly?”

“I’m just stating a statement of fact. I’m not condoning anything. I’m stating a statement of fact. President Trump does not pick the people he attacks because of color. He attacks anybody he feels needed,” Owens explained. “I’m not his judge.”

Author: Chris Enloe

Source: The Blaze: Black pastor bucks media narrative, defends President Trump from charges of racism: ‘He attacks anybody’

‘You guys are crazy!’

Hundreds of protesters were forcibly removed from Donald Trump’s campaign rallies during his historic run to the White House in 2016. Now we know that Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) was one such protester.

Newly surfaced video shows Secret Service agents forcibly removing an angry and shouting Tlaib during a Trump campaign event in Detroit in 2016.

“You guys are crazy!” Tlaib screams at Trump supporters as agents restrains her.

The interruption came during a speech that then-candidate Trump gave at the Detroit Economic Club in August 2016. A dozen other women joined Tlaib to create a commotion during his speech.

Tlaib, who formally served as a Michigan state representative, later boasted about her protest in an essay in the Detroit Free Press.

Tlaib wrote:

I can’t describe the fear that gripped me when I rose in front of nearly 2,000 professionals at this tony, corporate setting. I watched as Trump supporters taunted the women who stood before me as they were aggressively and briskly led to the exits. I froze, feeling the anger around me that would make anyone tremble. Yet, I could only think of the unwavering love for my two sons to find the courage to do my own part.

Watching my 11-year old’s anxiety increase the more he hears from his friends about what Donald Trump said or wants to do if he is elected has been heartbreaking. So when I heard Trump was coming to Detroit to speak only a few miles from our home, I couldn’t say no when I was offered a ticket to attend his speech.

I told Trump that “our children deserve better” and I asked him to provide a better example to our kids. I implored him to read the U.S. Constitution. And then I was grabbed by several security personnel who physically moved me to the exit while I continued to express my concerns.

Perhaps the most ironic part of the incident is that the man who filmed Tlaib told her to “get a job.” Well, she did.

Author: Chris Enloe

Source: The Blaze: Viral video shows Rashida Tlaib being forcibly dragged out of Trump campaign event in 2016 by Secret Service

President Donald Trump has fired back at Jimmy Carter, one day after the former president questioned the legitimacy of Trump’s presidency.

Following the G-20 Summit in Japan on Saturday, Trump called Carter “the forgotten president” who is remembered for being a “terrible” leader “trashed” by his own party.

“Look, he was a nice man. He was a terrible president. He’s a Democrat. And it’s a typical talking point. He’s loyal to the Democrats. And I guess you should be,” Trump said, according to the Associated Press.

“He’s been badly trashed,” Trump later said. “He’s like the forgotten president. And I understand why they say that. He was not a good president.”

The president also refuted Carter’s assertion that his presidency is illegitimate, telling reporters he earned the White House because he campaigned better than Hillary Clinton.

“Everybody now understands that I won not because of Russia, not because of anyone but myself,” Trump said. “I went out and campaigned better, smarter, harder than Hillary Clinton.”

Carter claimed Friday that Trump only defeated Clinton in 2016 because Russians interfered in the election on his behalf. He further asserted that if Russia interference were investigated fully, it would prove that Clinton was the rightful winner of the election.

Author: Chris Enloe

Source: The Blaze: Trump blasts Jimmy Carter with fiery response after he claims Trump’s election not legitimate

Government officials and Trump supporters are seething over suspicions acting Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan sabotaged ICE raids planned for last weekend by leaking sensitive information to the mainstream media.

Now, it has been revealed that McAleenan, a mainstay in the Trump administration, is a longtime Democratic donor.

What are the details?

Federal Election Commission records show McAleenan donated $2,900 to then-Sen. Barack Obama’s 2008 presidential campaign over 11 contributions between Nov. 2007 and Nov. 2008.

Over the same period of time, McAleenan donated to the Democratic National Committee twice, once for $67.10 and another time for $3,300. The latter donation was returned, although FEC records do not show why the donation was rescinded.

In 2009, McAleenan donated twice to ActBlue, a contributions platform that fundraises for progressive lawmakers. He donated to ActBlue four more times in 2013.

Additionally, McAleenan gave money to Democrat Justin Oberman — $300 over two donations — who campaigned to fill Illinois’ 5th congressional seat in 2009. The seat was left vacant by Rahm Emmanuel, who resigned after accepting the job of White House chief of staff for Obama.

As the Washington Examiner noted, FEC data also show that McAleenan’s wife, Corina, is a Democratic donor who contributed to Obama’s 2012 re-election campaign and to Hillary Clinton in 2016.

What are the allegations of leaking?

Immigrations and Customs Enforcement was slated to conduct raids in 10 U.S. cities targeting 2,000 illegal immigrants over the weekend. However, the raids were delayed after a high-ranking government official leaked sensitive details about the operation.

Multiple officials have pointed the finger at McAleenan, who flew to the southern border last week with the Washington Post reporter who broke the story about the raids.

“If this is true, then Mr. McAleenan was inexcusably willing to put the public at risk and law enforcement officers in harm’s way in order to further his own agenda,” Brandon Judd, president of the National Border Patrol Council, wrote in a Fox News op-ed this week.

“His actions in office have been detrimental to both border security and President Trump’s expressed mandate to end illegal immigration and the catch-and-release program,” Judd explained. ” Until the DHS swamp is drained, we are going to be hard-pressed to realize true border security.”

Author: Chris Enloe

Source: The Blaze: Homeland Security secretary, suspected of leaking info about ICE raids, is a Democratic donor

‘It really jeopardized the safety of law enforcement officers…’

Mark Morgan, acting director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, revealed Saturday that the ICE raids planned for Sunday morning were cancelled because of government leaks and the media’s subsequent reporting on key operation details.

“The media got ahold of some operational specifics, and they reported it. It’s just egregious, and it puts the lives of the officers and agents at risk,” Morgan told Fox News host Jeanine Pirro.

“The men and women at ICE are true American heroes. The president recognized that. He postponed it to protect them,” Morgan explained.

President Donald Trump announced Saturday afternoon the ICE operation would be delayed two weeks, citing requests from Democrats. It has since been reported that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) called him personally to request the government not move forward with the raids.

The operation was originally slated to begin in the pre-dawn hours on Sunday, targeting thousands of illegal immigrants across 10 U.S. cities.

Who leaked operation details?

According to the Washington Examiner, government officials believe acting Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan is behind the leaks.

Five government officials who spoke with the Examiner said McAleenan has been petitioning against the operation for months.

From the Examiner:

The sources said only a small number of people in the White House, ICE, and DHS were even aware of the plan’s details, including which cities, the date and time, and who would be targeted.

Two officials said the acting secretary, who was promoted internally in April, had fought for months during closed-door discussions with White House officials, the former acting ICE Director Ronald Vitiello, and the new acting ICE Director Mark Morgan against the plan, which they noted was similar to one the Obama administration carried out in 2015.

Further, according to the Examiner, McAleenan traveled to the border on a government plane last Wednesday with the Washington Post reporter who broke the news about the ICE operation.

“It really jeopardized the safety of law enforcement officers — that’s the part that’s really detrimental,” one official told the Examiner.

Author: Chris Enloe

Source: The Blaze: ICE director reveals real reason Trump delayed ICE raids — and report suggests who is behind leaks

‘A very great friend of the State of Israel’

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu unveiled Sunday a new Jewish settlement in the internationally contested Golan Heights named after President Donald Trump.

The settlement is called “Trump Heights” — or “Ramat Heights” in Hebrew — and essentially renames an existing settlement in Kela Alon that was built decades ago, the Wall Street Journal reported. Fewer than a dozen Israeli citizens live in the settlement, which sits just 12 miles from the Syrian border.

JALAA MAREY/AFP/Getty Images

Netanyahu revealed the settlement during a meeting of his cabinet.

“We are going to do two things — establish a new community on the Golan Heights, something that has not been done for many years. This is an act of Zionism and it is paramount,” he said, according to the New York Post. “The second thing is to honor our friend, a very great friend of the State of Israel — President Donald Trump, who recently recognized Israel’s sovereignty over the Golan Heights.”

David Friedman, the U.S. ambassador to Israel, was also at the event. He said, “I can’t think of a more appropriate and a more beautiful birthday present.”

Netanyahu’s announcement came just months after Trump gifted the Israeli leader with a major political win: when he recognized Israeli’s sovereignty over the Golan Heights.

The move was internationally condemned, and did not generate any worldwide support. The international community maintains that Israel has illegal control over the Golan despite winning control over the the majority of the land during the Six-Day War in 1967. Israel officially annexed Golan in 1981.

After the settlement was unveiled, Trump thanked Netanyahu for the “great honor.”

Author: Chris Enloe

Source: The Blaze: Israel honors President Trump with ‘Trump Heights,’ a settlement in the Golan Heights

Ad Blocker Detected!

Advertisements fund this website. Please disable your adblocking software or whitelist our website.
Thank You!