Author

Louis Casiano

Browsing

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., on Tuesday said he’ll ask President Trump to withdraw his request for $5 billion in border wall construction funds, and to instead use that money to battle gun violence and white-supremacist extremism following two deadly mass shootings this month.

Schumer’s office said he will formally petition the president to put the funding toward gun violence research by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Department of Homeland Security counterviolent extremism programs, FBI domestic-terrorism investigations and other programs.

“The dual scourges of gun violence and violent white supremacist extremism in this country are a national security threat, plain and simple, and it’s time the Trump administration and Republicans in Congress starting treating them as such,” Schumer said in a statement.

“Now Republicans and this administration need to put their money where their mouth is when it comes to addressing gun violence and stopping the rise of domestic terrorism, especially stemming from white supremacy,” the statement continued.

In February, Trump used a national emergency declaration to divert funding from the Pentagon for his long-promised border wall. He took that tack after Congressional Democrats refused to fund the project.

Schumer’s request came after CQ Roll Call reported that Senate Republicans were looking to divert about $5 billion from a domestic spending bill to fund the wall. The shootings in Texas and Ohio earlier this month have intensified the pressure on lawmakers to address gun violence and white nationalism,

The gunman in El Paso, Texas, who killed 22 people inside a Walmart targeted Hispanic immigrants.

Fox News’ Caroline McKee contributed to this report.

Author: Louis Casiano

Source: Fox News: Schumer to ask Trump to divert $5 billion in border wall funding to fight gun violence, white-supremacy extremists

The Mexican government on Sunday threatened legal action against the United States for its response to Saturday’s mass shooting at Walmart in El Paso, Texas that left 20 people dead, including six Mexican nationals.

Mexico’s Foreign Minister Marcelo Ebrard made the announcement in a video posted to Twitter, in which he expressed indignation for the mass shooting at the Cielo Vista Mall.

“The president of the Republic has instructed me so that this posture and indignation from Mexico is translated, first in protecting affected families, and then in legal actions, efficient and prompt, quick and convincing so that Mexico can demand the conditions to protect to the Mexican-American community and Mexicans in the United States,” Ebrard said.

He called Saturday’s shooting “an act of barbarism.” Ebrard didn’t offer specifics but said Mexico would take action to protect its citizens living in the U.S.

“What happened is inadmissible and today, at 4 p.m., we will announce the first judicial actions that the Mexican government will take in accordance to international law,” he added.

Among the 20 killed are six Mexican citizens and seven injured. Mexico revised the number of its citizens killed Sunday from three to six.

“Today, unfortunately, the update provided by the FBI… the regrettable part is that they’ve confirmed that 6 Mexicans have lost their lives, and there are 7 injured in El Paso, Texas,” Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said.

Ebrard said five of the Mexican citizens killed were: Sara Regalado, Adolfo Cerros Hernandez, Jorge Calvillo Garcia, Elsa Mendoza de la Mora, and Gloria Irma Marquez. The sixth victim has not been identified.

El Paso, home to 680,000 residents, sits across the southern border from Cuidad Juarez in the Mexican state of Chihuahua.

The gunman, Patrick Crusius, 21, of Allen, Texas, was charged with capital murder. Investigators are looking into a manifesto they believe he wrote that could be a “nexus to a hate crime.”

Author: Louis Casiano

Source: Fox News: Mexican government vows legal action against US in response to El Paso mass shooting

Florida’s Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis is expected to sign a bill on Friday prohibiting sanctuary cities, keeping a pledge he made during his campaign last year.

The bill — it’s designated SB 168 — will require local and state governments to honor immigration detainers’ requests from federal agencies and to cooperate with immigration authorities. Local governments would be barred from adopting sanctuary city policies to protect undocumented immigrants from deportation, requiring them to notify Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) when an inmate subject to a detainer hold is released.

The bill was one of the most debated of the 2019 legislative session. Several versions were tossed between the state Senate and House before being passed 22-18 and 68-45, respectively, last month, largely along party lines.

“Earlier this year, Governor DeSantis asked the Florida Legislature to present him with meaningful legislation to uphold the rule of law and ensure that no city or county jurisdiction can get in the way of Florida’s cooperation with our federal partners to enforce immigration law,” DeSantis spokeswoman Helen Ferre told The Orlando Sentinel in an email.

Nine states — they are Alabama, Arizona, Georgia, Iowa, North Carolina, Mississippi, Missouri, Tennessee and Texas — have passed laws requiring law enforcement to cooperate with ICE.

“We are a stronger state when we protect our residents, foster safe communities and respect the work of law enforcement at every level,” DeSantis said in a statement last month after the bill’s passage.

Other states, like California, have enacted laws that limit cooperation between local and state law enforcement agencies and the federal government.

Florida’s measure sparked protest from immigrant-rights groups and is expected to be challenged in court.

Fox News reporters Greg Norman and Frank Miles contributed to this report.

Author: Louis Casiano

Source: Fox News: Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis expected to sign measure banning sanctuary cities on Friday

President Trump slammed the Green New Deal during a speech to energy industry workers on Tuesday, saying the progressive proposal to fight climate change “might be a bigger hoax” than the investigation into Russian meddling in U.S. elections.

“The Green New Deal is a hoax like the hoax I just went through,” Trump said during a speech promoting a liquefied natural gas export at an LNG Export Facility in Hackberry, La., The Washington Examiner reported. “I’m not sure, it might even be a bigger one. And mine was pretty big.”

Trump told the audience “everybody in this room gets fired” if the plan is ever implemented.

“Everybody go home, you just lost your jobs,” he added, according to the news site.

The sweeping progressive legislation spearheaded by Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., calls for the U.S to achieve net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 while shifting to renewable energy sources such as wind and solar power.

Republicans have called the deal unworkable and unaffordable.

“The United States, we have been lowering our emissions over the past dozen years,” Sen. John Barrasso, R, Wyo., the chairman of the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, told “America’s Newsroom” on Tuesday. “The cost of doing what they’re proposing is so expensive and it would blow a hole in our strong and healthy and growing economy.”

Ocasio-Cortez and presidential hopeful Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., hosted a rally Monday to support their environmental goals and to call for an end to all tax breaks and subsidies for oil and gas companies.

Ocasio-Cortez has accused the GOP of intentionally spreading misinformation about her plan.

“The reason why you hear constant disinformation about the Green New Deal is because they know how vulnerable they are,” Ocasio-Cortez said, according to The Examiner. “If it really was just a silly little fairy tale, they would have just let it rock. But they know the knowledge and energy that is behind this.”

The Senate failed in March to reach the 60 votes necessary to bring the nonbinding resolution to a debate, and the House refuses to take up the matter. Democrats decried the vote as a sham to force them into a quick vote. More than 40 chose to vote “present.”

In addition to mocking his Democratic challengers in the 2020 White House race on Tuesday, Trump focused his speech on efforts to increase liquefied natural gas exports. He argued it has added jobs and bolstered America’s reputation as an energy provider in international markets.

Fox News’ Andrew O’Reilly contributed to this report.

Author: Louis Casiano

Source: Foxnews: Trump says Green New Deal ‘might be a bigger hoax’ than Russia probe

Ad Blocker Detected!

Advertisements fund this website. Please disable your adblocking software or whitelist our website.
Thank You!