Democratic National Committee chairman Tom Perez said the desire to obtain presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden’s Senate records is “like the Hillary emails” because “there was nothing there.”
Perez’s Sunday remarks on “This Week” came as ABC reporter Martha Raddatz asked about former Senate staffer Tara Reade’s sexual assault allegations against Biden and the fact that the University of Delaware has “brushed aside” those who have called on a search for Reade’s name in the records.
“Your communications director has called that idea ‘absurd.’ Why?” Raddatz asked.
“There’s been so many investigations of the vice president. The most comprehensive investigation of the vice president was when he was vetted by Barack Obama in 2008,” Perez responded. “I’m very familiar with the vice presidential vetting process. They look at everything about you. They looked at the entire history of Joe Biden, his entire career. And I’ll tell you, if Barack Obama had any indication that there was an issue, Barack Obama would not have had him as his vice president. Barack Obama trusted Joe Biden. I trust Joe Biden and those investigations have been done.”
After the DNC chairman went on to explain that “policy documents” and “speeches” are in those records, not personnel matters, Raddatz again pressed with a question about doing a simple search for “Tara Reade.”
“This is like the Hillary emails because there was nothing there,” Perez responded. “And the reason is … I worked on the Senate Judiciary Committee in 1995. The ranking member was Joe Biden. I wasn’t working for Joe Biden. I was working for Senator [Joe] Kennedy. If you want to see my personnel records, you don’t go to the Kennedy Institute. That’s not where they go. And so when you ask the University of Delaware to take a look at something, you’re asking them to look for something that doesn’t exist.”
The latest Harris Poll contained some good news for President Donald Trump amid the federal government’s response to the coronavirus pandemic.
Conducted using a nationally representative sample of 2,050 Americans over two waves, March 14-15 and March 17-18, the poll provided some quick feedback on how the public’s perception can change overnight even as the government shifts its response to a crisis in which the news seemingly changes by the hour.
Overall, both waves showed around 60% of Americans “satisfied” with how the federal government has handled the coronavirus crisis so far.
Of the president’s performance, 56% of the second wave approve of the way Trump has handled the COVID-19 crisis, with 44% disapproving. This is up five percentage points from the first wave, conducted only two days before. Meanwhile, Trump’s overall approval jumped four percentage points between waves, from 49% to 53%.
On another note, the perception of whether the federal government’s economic relief thus far has been sufficient decreased from 47% to 42% from wave 1 to wave 2. Trump signed the “Families First Coronavirus Response Act” into law Wednesday night.
Harshly criticized at first, the president’s performance during the coronavirus crisis has been praised by some unlikely sources of late, including CNN anchor Dana Bash and Democratic Minnesota Rep. Ilhan Omar.
Washington Post congressional reporter Rachael Bade said on ABC’s “This Week” that Democrats “have privately said” House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s decision to delay sending impeachment articles to the Senate was a “failed strategy.”
Although Pelosi herself has defended her decision to wait, host George Stephanopoulos told his panel, before turning to Bade, that there has been “a lot of skepticism on Capitol Hill.”
“Yeah, definitely,” said Bade. “She was clearly putting a positive spin on what a lot of Democrats have privately said was a failed strategy.”
The Washington Post reporter explained how Pelosi ended up getting none of her original wishes from the delay:
She and Chuck Schumer set out to, number one, try to get a commitment from McConnell on witnesses, firsthand witnesses to have them testify in a Senate trial. She also said she wanted to see a resolution about, you know, how the whole proceedings would be governed. She got neither of those.
As for revelations that have come about since the delay, such as former National Security Advisor John Bolton expressing his willingness to testify, Bade argued that those things “would have happened regardless.”
“And in fact there might have even been more news focused on those things if everybody wasn’t asking ‘what is Nancy Pelosi doing for the articles?’” Bade observed. “So I do the think there are a lot of Democrats who, while not going on the record and saying it, a lot of them had concern about this.”
Democratic New Jersey Rep. Jerry Nadler was caught on camera appearing to have some difficulty keeping his eyes open as his Judiciary Committee colleague, Republican Ohio Rep. Steve Chabot, was speaking during Wednesday’s impeachment hearing.
The momentary lapse by the House Judiciary Committee chairman was posted by the Trump War Room Twitter account, which was quick to poke a little fun with some sleep-appropriate music.
OOPS: Sleepy Jerry Nadler got caught dozing off as he chaired House Democrats' #ImpeachmentHearing.😴💤
In fairness to Nadler, staying awake during the entirety of Wednesday’s hearings would have been a monumental task for anyone. It included the testimony of four legal scholars, three of whom were invited by Democrats.
The fourth scholar, Georgetown University professor Jonathan Turley, argued that, while he did not vote for the president, impeaching him based on such a faulty line of evidence and legal reasoning will create a dangerous precedent for “generations to come.”
“President Trump will not be our last president, and what we leave in the wake of this scandal will shape our democracy for generations to come,” he said. “I’m concerned about lowering impeachment standards to fit a paucity of evidence and an abundance of anger. I believe this impeachment not only fails to satisfy the standard of past impeachments but would create a dangerous precedent for future impeachments.”
President Donald Trump’s campaign is set to spring for a giant anti-socialism banner along with a plane to fly it over Houston, just before Thursday night’s Democratic debate.
The banner and flight will reportedly cost around $7,500 and it will fly from 2 p.m. until 6 p.m., just an hour before the start of the debate.
The banner will read, “Socialism Will Kill Houston’s Economy” above a plea to “Vote Trump 2020,” according to a rendition provided to ABC News by the Trump campaign.
“Every single Democrat candidate has job killing, economy crushing policies that won’t work for America. Team Trump is here to remind them and let everyone in Houston know what a complete disaster Democrats are for America,” deputy communications director Erin Perrine told the network in a Wednesday statement.
Trump and Republicans have made a practice of pointing out Democrats’ socialistic policy positions, and evidence suggests it could be an effective tactic. While 50 percent of Americans view socialism in a negative light, only 18 percent of all Americans say they view socialism positively, according to a Wall Street Journal poll conducted in May.
The ad campaign will also include full-page print ads directed at Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren, and Julian Castro, ABC reported.